Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Anybody remember 9-9-99?

As you know, today is 09/09/09. As a species, we seem to like neat little groups and patterns, especially those looking to fill space on internet blogs (scoff).

But amid the e-revelry for 9³, I found myself thinking about 09/09/99, and how different my life was back then.

In the days leading up to 09/09/99, some of the Y2K alarmists were calling for a "mini" Y2K, because the computers would apparently go crazy seeing all those 9s in one place.

The word "blog" had yet to enter my consciousness, Twitter wasn't even a gleam in someone's eye, and Social Networking as a concept was in it's infancy with AOL Profiles and the real cutting edgers on LiveJournal.

I was a sophomore in high school, and was given a fairly lengthy homework assignment for my World History class. Some of my fellow classmates complained, since it would severely curtail they're viewing of the MTV Video Music Awards, which were scheduled to air that evening, due to its Earth Shattering Significance, I suppose. Highlights you may recall were Li'l Kim's outfit that included one exposed breast covered with a seashell pasty, and the first appearance at the awards of one Britney Spears.

The world has changed a lot in 10 years. So this evening, pour yourself a Magic Hat #9 and toast the passing of another day, and I'll see you in one year, one month, and one day to celebrate 10/10/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment